Sunday, November 17, 2013

Andrew's first race

Andrew ran his first 5k! He is in an after school program called Little Runners, and they had their first annual 5k fundraiser for the Children's Tumor Foundation.  Andrew raised $130 towards the cause and did a great job.  The race was held on the Hudson River walkway and we had to be there at 8 am.  As soon as we go there he started telling me he was nervous.  About 3 minutes into the race I told him I thought he should slow down a bit so he didn't get tired, because he was basically sprinting. He started huffing and puffing and asked for some water. I replied, I guess you haven't had much to drink this morning have you. He said, I haven't had ANY. Complete mommy FAIL.  We had been in such a hurry to get him out and something to eat, we somehow forgot something to drink. We finally made it to a water station they had set up around the mile marker and he felt a bit better, but we had done a lot of walking.  I started getting him to run by playing chase, or running for 60 secs, walking for 60 seconds-whatever to get him to finish.  When he runs he is actually very fast and I felt like I got sprints in for the day! About 1/2 mile from the finish, a running stranger said to him as she passed, I saw a bunch of kids waaaay behind you, you better keep it up so you can beat them.  It was just what he needed to finish. Well, that and some uncle  Mike  songs....




 He finished in 40:05 too, which was amazing for the amount of walking we did!!

No comments:

Post a Comment